Skip to main content

Món ăn ở MTC là "tốt nhất"

Chào Anh Chị Em Chú Cô Ông Bà!
(Oof that's a mouthful) 

Week four at the Mtc is now behind me! That means on Wednesday, I will officially be halfway through my stay here. I doubt I'll ever feel ready to go to Việt Nam but hopefully by then I'll feel more ready. 

Things have been excellent and approximately good since my last email. Some dear Elders and Sisters have left on their way, which is sad, but also exciting. And  to be honest, things aren't always cool and good here, but overall I would still say that the experience has been a good one. Yeah, there are hard times, but weighed against all the good things I've learned and the ways I've been improving , I'd still say that it's a good time. 

Last Tuesday we got to see Elder Uchtdorf. He came and gave us a nice talk. It was a good reminder that we just can't control everything but we can control our thoughts  our feelings, and our actions. Living a good life is not necessarily about your circumstances, but how you decide to control those things. 

We also got to see the new Christmas Vdieo for this year. Not gonna spoil it for you or anything, but its really good. And it's entirely in Arabic. Something to look forward to I guess. 

A fun thing that happened this week was that when I was walking back from class to go to our residence for the night, I found out that some of the missionaries in my district are Studio Ghibli fans. I was saying something about  Hayao Miyazaki when this big Polynesian elder is like "HEY!" 

Now when I say big, I mean as tall as me but something like a hundred pounds heavier. So he is really intimidating. He walks over to me with this hard look on his face and puts his hand on my shoulder. 

"You like princess Mononoke?"

"Um. Uh huh." (Me, visibly sweating) 

"Ah. Good man."

Then he Pats me on the shoulder and walks away.

So there's that. 

My favourite Vietnamese word this week is Cá ông or whale. Literally, it means " grandfather fish". I just like it a lot because ông has a lot of respectful connotations and implies wisdom and majesty. Those definitely apply to a whale i think, but I also just really like how in the Việt culture, age isn't considered a bad thing like here in Mỹ, but is considered good and commands a lot of respect. I also love how everyone considers themselves part of one big family in Việt Nam wwhich I personally think is evidence that they are ready for the gospel. They already know the truth that we are all brothers and sisters in spirit. I cant wait to share with mọi người that they are right. And that we really are all siblings. I feel like if more people really knew and understood that, the world would have peace. But I guess that is one of our main goals as missionaries, to bring peace to the world through Christ. 

Anyway, thanks for all the support and emails and everything! I can definitely feel all your prayers, so thank you. 

Chào Anh Chị Em Chú Cô Ông Bà!
Elder Wilkinson

Elder Gerrits and Van Damme before they left


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tết Tết Tết Tết Đến Rồi

January 27, 2020 Hello everybody!  This week has been really weird. This week was the Big Tết week, and EVERYBODY was gone. Like, literally, the streets were empty, and all the stores, restaurants gas stations, grocerie stores and everything else was just closed. It was super spooky. So we've been living off our stockpile of instant noodles for the last 3 days haha. But despite the emptiness, we were blessed with some surprises this week! We met with this woman out of nowhere and decided to get lunch and she ended up being super interested in our message, which is awesome. Also this man called us out of nowhere and said he wanted to meet and so we were like k, he wants to learn english. But no! He was interested in our message as well! So that's been super awesome! Participating in the new years celebrations have been super fun also! Lots of yummy food and lots of lucky money  Anyway, this week we've been meeting with a lot of families. Something t...

Đang sống vào một cầu nguyện (Living on a Prayer)

Chào Anh Chị Em Chú Cô Ông Bà!                                            November 19, 2019 15 November 2019. An important day for Việt Nam and the world. On that day, the church was officially recognized by the Việt government as a real religion. For a bit of context, the government only recognizes Catholicism "protestantism" , Buddhism, and a handful of other local religions. All in all, less than a dozen religions. It just goes to show that having patience and showing respect for everyone ( even if we don't agree with their principles) brings great blessings. In fact,  the government specifically cited the respect of the church for local culture, customs, and communities as a reason for their recognition, so that's awesome. Hopefully, this is just one step in a long line of blessings for the people of Vietnam that culminates, (hopefully) with a Temple. (WOO WOO)...

They Are Here!

An email sent by Sister Chiles December 17, 2019 Dear Families -  It is the wee hours of the morning here in Hanoi, but I know you are probably anxious to know that your missionaries have arrived safe and sound. Well,  they are here!    We had three airport pickups tonight! Our new Assistant to the President, Anh C ả  Sáng, arrived from Ho Chi Minh City first, then Anh C ả  Kiên (Smith) arrived from Cambodia.  He is on temporary assignment in our mission for a transfer or two to get some more experience with Vietnamese before he heads back to work in the Vietnamese branch in Phnom Phenh.  We think it is great to have him!  Our 3 sisters and 4 elders from the MTC arrived shortly afterward. We have been anticipating and preparing for their arrival, and are SOO excited to have them here.     Everyone arrived safely; and all the luggage did as well; so that is wonderful!   Hugs all around, a quick picture, and ...